Friday, December 07, 2012

how to do a wedding theme (that probably will look like someone else's wedding theme)

I'd be lying if I said I haven't been completely sucked up by sites that can sell me cool shit to make for our wedding.

We have just over four months to go. This is both scary and, well, fucking exciting to be fair.

Now that the big things have mainly been secured, I can do the fun stuff. Like design and create our wedding favours, stationery and general theme.
It definitely helps to live in the UK, where you can literally buy anything and everything online, to be delivered to your door.

I am obsessed with Etsy, Notonthehighstreet, Pintrest. At first, all of these types of sites just stressed me out. They are completely overwhelming in the beginning, and nearly made me not want a wedding at all.
So if I can offer any advice, it's to ignore the bridal magazines, Pintrest boards, craft sites and sundry until you have a venue and you have a clear fucking head.

Once that's out of the way, it doesn't seem that bad.

It's really about how much detail you really want to go into. Some of us are more detail-oriented than others.*
I went to a beautiful wedding last weekend in Oxford which was every bit of the traditional English winter wedding you could get. Set in the Oxford Bodleian library, the ceiling was the centrepiece of the entire wedding - and it was simply goh-juss. It was a hand-crafted, and it spoke entirely for itself.

Sometimes, you don't need a theme. When you have a shit hot roof.
The couple put one simple vase of traditional flowers on the table. And that's because they had a shit hot roof. (Cold roof, actually. It was about -2 outside.)

There are no rules. It's your wedding. Be open-minded.

For purposes of secrecy, am not going to talk about what our wedding will look like. Rest assured we won't have a ceiling like the one above, but with most of my friends married already, it's quite difficult to find something really unique that hasn't been done before.

I say, individualise. Tweak your shit. Tweak the shit out of your shit. Make it your own. 
Maybe you already have a style in mind - say, 'vintage' (most likely), or 'shabby chic'. Or 'city'. Or for the brave, 'theatrical.'
But there is so much more you could go on, if you really want to venture down that rabbit warren. Which I have, purely by accident. Think 'theme that fits into a theme.'
(Caveat: As long as I'm not paying for, or organising the below, this is balls of fun.)

Theatrical
Cirque de Soleil?





Shabby Chic
French Provence?







Vintage
Tea party?






City theme
London?




 



The irony of this post is that because I'm organisaing a wedding from 10 000 miles away, I'm not quite sure what our theme will look like right up until the day.

It really could go in any direction. I can really only estimate a guess.

* Oh HAI!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello to every body, it's my first pay a visit of this blog; this web site contains amazing and in fact fine material designed for readers.
Here is my blog post borkum riff cherry

Anonymous said...

Good aгticle. I wіll be еxρeгienсіng many оf thesе
iѕsues аs well..
My blog ; how to get back with your boyfriend after a breakup

Kat said...

Love the post. Brother dearest is also getting married in April here in SA but organising from the States. Guess who gets to do the donkey work? It's even more fun with a bride who lives in the USA but grew up in communist Belarus. She didn't ever dream of her perfect wedding as a child so has no idea what she wants now.
Anyway a mate of mine did the whole London wedding recently with a double decker bus it really was stunning.

Anonymous said...

Totes love the tea party and london themes. It would look amazing if you pulled it off right - especially back in SA. Also, it's only fair on the Brit :)PLEASE post pics on your blog once it's over! Yvette x

Pebbles said...

I have 2 more for you
http://craftgawker.com/
http://weddinggawker.com/