Wednesday, January 02, 2013

and so it begins


Why hello there.

Happy New Year!

After 9 delicious days of fizz, late mornings and late nights, endless stodgy feasts, and radio silence from my email and phone - I had to go to work today.

It was he most dreadful feeling. It's not like we went on an exotic holiday, but I made sure that work was the furtherest thing from my existence. Further than the Falkland Islands.

I pootled around London a lot, and we had a wonderfully festive Christmas in Hampshire with the Brit's family, and an equally festive New Year's in the countryside with friends over from South Africa.

Christmas was punctuated by onesies and drunken renditions of Gangnam Style in the living room. (I was given a leopard-print onesie for Christmas. The delight! The sheer delight of wearing a baby-grow that fits an adult human! They're all the rage. Ugly as fuck, and all the rage.)

The week was all nicely rounded off with a bucket of KFC, the Brit and I realising that this wonderfully chilled time was about to grind to a complete halt.

So going back came as a shock this morning.

Getting up early, to pitch darkness, on the train and the tube, was a shock to my system. The anxiety of going back was worse than actually being back. The knots in my stomach and the tossing and turning the night before.

Anyway. Am back, and all I hope that this is one of the healthiest, happiest years for us to date.

I am usually quite healthy, but have since ramped it up to epic proportions. So with this in mind - here are my new year's resolutions:

1) Be healthier than I have ever been. No dairy (not good for me), and no red and white meat. Fish and eggs only!

2) Eat tons of veggies and fruit, all day, everyday.

3) Run! Three times a week. (I went back today. It was brutally hard!)

4) Get a better work-life balance. I realised after being switched off how monopolising my work can be. It was becoming toxic. Will aim to put down phone and not look at it once I get home.

5) Get a hobby. Knitting or acupuncture? I figure if I'm not poking needles into something, someone might as well poke needles into me?

6) Start the year with a Dry January. But for charidee! Proceeds go to Cancer Research UK, a foundation especially close to my heart. Sponsor moi?

7) No smoking. Obviously. We've quit completely on 1 January. Like everyone else. We figured it's better to quit when everyone else does, as misery loves company. And it just makes better sense.

8) Wear more chintz.*

So the usual really. Araen't these everyone's? Every year? More or less?

*Not me. My cushions. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't going to, but then found myself struck by a 'late rush':

- live healthier (try and exercise more, consume fewer takeout meals)
- less roadrage (basically, make peace with the idiot drivers)
- be more of a "can-do" person at work

Peas on Toast said...

Those sound pretty good to me:good,solid blanket resolutions.


Good luck with them!

Peas on Toast said...

Those sound pretty good to me:good,solid blanket resolutions.


Good luck with them!

Nicole B said...

I have similar resolutions for this year - I have a year to lose all the weight I want for my wedding early next year.
I stopped smoking last April, but buckled under work pressure end of last year and resorted to a few social-while-drinking cigarettes, which ended up in a whole box on NYE and then promptly stopped again on 1 Jan. I had one this last saturday at my boss' sons funeral. Tears and emotional stress (and alcohol) do me no good .
So today I go back to gym, continue to follow my weight watchers program and hope for the best! :)

Good luck for the new year Miss Peas! :) xx

Nicole B said...

I have similar resolutions for this year - I have a year to lose all the weight I want for my wedding early next year.
I stopped smoking last April, but buckled under work pressure end of last year and resorted to a few social-while-drinking cigarettes, which ended up in a whole box on NYE and then promptly stopped again on 1 Jan. I had one this last saturday at my boss' sons funeral. Tears and emotional stress (and alcohol) do me no good .
So today I go back to gym, continue to follow my weight watchers program and hope for the best! :)

Good luck for the new year Miss Peas! :) xx

Peas on Toast said...

Ah secret best of luck with it! Sounds awfully familiar - we seem to have had the same set backs! Xx