I've had this problem for as long as I can remember. I attribute it to being a Virgo and for getting my mother's genes.
I am a compulsive worrier.
So waiting for my flight back to JHB, I bought Allen Carr's (the smoking guy) "The Easy Way to Stop Worrying." I won't say I was completely transformed into a lax, who-gives-a-shit- individual, but I've stressed a lot less in the last two days.
Basically, this is what he reckons:
1) Animals in the wild don't worry about being eaten by a lion five days before it happens. So worrying is an unnatural state of mind.
2) We have been brainwashed to worry.
3) To stop worrying, you need to be prepared.
4) If you don't have an immediate plan of action, think of the worst case scenario: is it really a disaster?
5) Don't cry over spilt milk
6) Pay your taxes (this is a contentious issue), exercise.
...in so many words.
I'm testing it out. I've called a meeting with my boss to discuss things I am not happy about. Bold move for me, I hate confrontation. I am not worrying about it. In fact, I'm embracing it. (I may start shitting myself later when it nears 3 o' clock)