Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Not right

It was all wrong. This happens time and again when you organise something and not just be spontaneous. Like “Come chaps, we’re hammered and ready to rock and roll – let’s go to the Coloneeeeeeeee!” When previously unplanned.
Those always end up being the best nights.

A large pre-holiday final thrash was organised for Friday by C and I with Ramone, E, N, C2 and the rest of the world. The venue? Where else, I mean c’mon. The Manhattan Club naturally.
Peeyuke. Although admittedly, I have spent a good portion of my salary there this year, and fucking enjoyed it too.

I think what broke the camel straw (yes, that thing) was when someone said to me: “You know your boyfriend is so fucking sexy. So hot. I mean, he’s just insanely amazing. Just the sexiest thing ever. Like, step aside.”

OK, easy. Easy tiger.

I know this person. I’m all for and fine with people complimenting my choice in man with: “Well done Peas, he seems lovely.” Or, “Awesome chap Peas, nice looking too, I hope he treats you right.”
But unstoppable gushing followed by dreamy staring just makes me a little tense. Especially after three Jaegerbombs.

But let’s retract. For the first time in years, I didn’t feel supersonically sexy myself. I chose the wrong outfit after dinner at Gourmet Garage – which I had to change into in the parking lot, with Smoking Legs holding up a towel to hide my boobies from the world – and it suddenly dawned on me that this shirt I bought last week, actually doesn’t look all that, even though five minutes ago I thought it was. It actually looks like an apron. I mean, was I blind? No wonder it was on sale.
Second mistake, I wasn’t wearing heels. Unusual. I always wear heels. Especially to places where I need to look like a swan. And predictably, my flats made me feel flat.

After a couple of drinks, tenseness and general just not loving the vibe, we went to get some coffee and sat on the sidewalk sipping and talking.
I enjoyed that part of the evening.
And the part where I had wonderful sex.
He met my mum on Sunday and she had the perfect response: "He's lovely Peas. Himself, relaxed, polite and interested." Now that's what I'm talaking about.

We first met each other when we worked at a ski resort in Colorado six years ago.
I obviously assumed he was American when I first saw him. Coincidentally, as there were only, like, seven South Africans at this resort, he turned out to be one of us.

I was 21 and still very happy with Ex S – we had gone there to live, work and ski together after all. But Smoking Legs and I cannot deny the fact, and admitted this to each other way back then and again now, that the first-laid-eyes-on instant attraction was supersonic.
Supersonic, but I was still very much in love with Ex S. And remained that way for years to come until The End.
I have never felt such extreme instant, undeniable and mutual chemistry with anyone like this before. Have yet to anyway. I stayed far away though.

Now, six years later, here we are. Timing is everything, which then also equates to: everything does happen for a reason. If there are two things I’ve learnt over the year, this is it.

25 comments:

Crusoe said...

Damn those flat shoes - damn them all to hell!!

How drunk was this woman who almost got bitch slapped?

Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to figure out what you find so great about Manhattans. Sometimes its best to just forgo the night out and have way more fun at home, in one's jammies.

Peas on Toast said...

Crusoe - not even that drunk. Sigh...;)

Insane - hey usually it's fun when your mates are all around, you're dancing to cheesy music and downing shot after shot...but Friday wore a bit thin. I think it's just been a case of too much this year...

Anonymous said...

There's a time and place for spontaneity.

boldly benny said...

Good morning Peas
So weird I went to Manhattan on Friday night and am still trying to figure out what is was about the vibe that just wasn't right.
I could've left 30 minutes after I arrived but my friends insisted I stay.
Good to hear that you're in couple bliss.

Anonymous said...

Hey Peas
I first laid eyes on my dream girl in 1991 when we were both at WITS. We weren't even introduced. As it is, this memory is hazy and could be incorrect. But since then, we have had the same friends, been to the same places at the same time and know millions of the same people, yet it wasn't until late Feb 2006 that we actualy met and hit it off.
Timing as they like to say, is everything!
15 years though is still pushing it i am sure!!!

Peas on Toast said...

Kyk - Ed Zachery.

Boldly - so funny you say that, I spoke to lots of people the next day and they said the same thing: Something was missing at Mandogs. Perhaps we're all just tired and need a holiday! :)

Daytripper - aw bless! Fifteen years isn't pushing it, I tell you. My mum met her 'dream man' after 23 years of marraige. After they got divorced, my mum and him laid eyes on each other and realised there was no going back, or so they tell me. Perhaps we have lessons to learn before meeting these people, things to do first. ;)

Antoine said...

This post puts the Mushy in Peas..... all together now: Awwwwwww

Champagne Heathen said...

Lucky thing I was nowhere near that little hellhole. Knowing my mood when I'm there, I would've bitched slapped her happily for you. I've got your back Peas! The bluddy audacity of her!!

I should've been there though, for you to feel like you are wearing heels even when not... just by standing next to me, even if I was wearing heels!

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Manhattans and the more I hear about it, the less I want to ever go.
It is one thing for your friend to compliment your boyfriend and something else entirely for them to drool. Just plain rude and out of line.
And I agree with you - sometimes we need to learn all sorts of lessons before we're ready to be with the person we've dreamed about.

Peas on Toast said...

Antoine - I know, I'm such a cheeseball. ;)

Champers - aw thanks dollface. As for the heels, I'll never make that mistake again! ;)

Jam - Lessons indeed, perhaps it would'nt have worked out if we hadn't learned those lessons to begin with? The other people I've been with have certainly taught me a lot - I cringe to think of my naivety before knowing them...

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is, when i want to dance to cheesy music and down shots, I end up going to Ramp Divas (gay club on east rand) Most of my mates are gay and we have ourselves a hell of a good time. But in general I prefer live bands or jamming at The Doors or Zepelins. Cheap beer and rock. bliss.

Dan Lurie said...

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks Peas

Peas on Toast said...

Insane - Mandogs comes down to this: my mates go there, so it just makes sense. But still, I'm keen to do some razzling elsewhere these holidays!

OD - I can't believe I've become so cheesy. Like two months ago I was cynical, realistic Peas. I think I preferred that - it seemed much safer...

Champagne Heathen said...

Peas, after this gorgeous post about your new man... so don't you have a date to claim from Kyk in the very near future???

Peas on Toast said...

Champs - bless. :) I do, and I'm going to be in CT over Christmas, so I'd very much like to meet him over that time.

Anonymous said...

"Everything happens for a reason" you can't really believe that nonsense do you?

Peas on Toast said...

I think I just proved that that nonsense exists.

Unknown said...

I do believe that a lot happens for a reason but not everything. If that bug hadnt blinded me causing me to bash car in, in turn I needed to sned a copy my drivers to insurance or else car wouldnt be fixed. As it turns out, when I applied this woman checked the expiry date on my affidavit- it expired the next day.

I didnt realise how long I had been procrastinating on it but that saved my arse in case I was ever pulled over by a dodgy metro cop.

Call it what you will, there are forces at work, fucking with our daily lives

Peas on Toast said...

Lollipop - and all because of a bug! Hectic. Sometimes it's harder to see the bigger picture when things are really bad - I certainly have. But things seem to unfold as they're meant to. It's fucked up.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that timing is everything - my boyfriend and I met 5 years ago and also had the whole instant connection, instant chemistry thing. Life got in the way, we dated other people, he moved to the other side of the country, but all of a sudden I found myself in the same city, the other relationships didn't work out, the chemistry is still there as strong as ever etc. But the best part is we've both seen a bit more of life, we've grown up, we've discovered what we want out of relationships and each other, we realise that had we gotten together 5 years ago it would have been a disaster - and we're getting married in May!

Peas on Toast said...

Wow Mel that is fantastic!

Without the marraige part, that's exactly what our situation has been thus far. And I'm glad: just this year alone I've had to do a lot of growing up.

Whose to say that we will stay together, but if there's ever a right time to try it out, it's now. With no complications and a bit more life experience.
Congrats on the wedding!

mike said...

Sexy baby sexy baby so nice and sexy Jagerbombs so good make you like to be nice and sexy baby woot.

Koekie said...

Devastation - new work blocks most of my favourite blogs (including mine on occassion). So I have to grab my mushypeas fix when I can!

Thanks for the update on Chad, the info on snakes and the general amusement re Lionel.

And I'd back you in a fight to the death over Smoking Legs. I'll even bring the pom poms.

Until my next webmarshal-free viewing... Peace out Peas.

Peas on Toast said...

Mike - now that's what I'm talking about. My mates would love you. And in that way.

Koekie - bless yor little heart, you'd back me? Thanks guy! Hope the visa situ/car selling situ isn't getting you down too much girlfriend, thinking of you lots. x