Wednesday, May 11, 2011

sometimes you need a little finesse

Big bollocking testicular popsicles.

Look what popped into my Facebook feed the other day. An ensemble, no - an omnibus of South African advs from 1988.

With such awesomely bland jingles like:

Sometimes you need a little Finesse! Sometimes you need a lot.

But the best? Is the Morkels lady. Obviously. When people think back to 80s South Africa they think:
1) Apartheid Ruda Landman in Carte Blanche
2) Sanctions The Morkels Lady
3) We weren't allowed to compete in the Olympics Citi Golf in primary colours

In all seriousness, the Morkels Lady. She's wearing a purple meringue, a red-rinsed perm and is advertising a giant chest freezer for two hundred ront.

I found out her name. It's Trudy Taljaard. She passed away two years ago from cancer apparently. (RIP).

Showing the Brit these ads, as the cornerstone of my upbringing - at least when I was 7-8 years old - brought back a surge of nostalgia.

8 comments:

Pebbles said...

"in the centre, Mr Venter!" Somehow those tag lines still show up in my vocab. Just like "it's not inside, it's on top!" (Cremora I think)... Sigh... Nostalgia indeed

Peas on Toast said...

Monki - oh my Lord, I almost forgot those two!. Classic, they must've run on tV for aaages, as they were totally drummed into our heads. Probably ran across the entire decade - there's no Saffa from the 80s who don't know these jingles.

Ooh ooh and "There's a friendly Spar wherever you are!"

Pebbles said...

Aaaah may too many to comment. Nosh, Fresca, Checkers, Hyperama... The list goes on and on. Jack Parow has a very cool song "I miss" about the 80's and 90's.

Katinafrica said...

Now I am going to have that finesse catch line stuck in my head. What a trip down memory lane:)

Peas on Toast said...

Monki - ooh! 'Nosh is nutty off the wall...' :)
Checkers...just up your street...Nobody makes soup in a cup like Royco Cuppa soup...

Kathleen - it's pretty annoying huh?!

Nicole B said...

I still use the "Its not inside, its on top" line, and "Why, Larry, why?" (I think is from the Fresca ad? coz nothing tastes like Fresca - and Fresca tastes like nothing :P)
I also get the old Joshua Dorr jingle stuck in my head from time to time - now THAT is annoying.

:D yay for the 80's and 90's!

melissa said...

'You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Joshua Door', I used to ask my parents if he was my uncle. Lol!

Melissa said...

Ah, memories - and bizarrely the girl with the dumbbells in the Sealy ad is a friend of mine from school - Nicole Ferreira, who is also Wayne Ferreira's (tennis player) sister. Useless fact of the day!

The one that is still in use in our family is any time someone asks "Coffee?", there's always one of us that says "Bar-one!"