Following Third World Ant’s post on ‘Is it normal?’ I thought I’d compile a post on my habits as well.
(Do yourself a favour and go to www.isitnormal.com. There are people that have asked whether shitting their pants at 17 and drinking their urine is normal. You decide.)
1) I play with my hair. I twirl it in my fingers, especially when I am stressed. I hate doing it, but I can’t stop.
2) I am, like Ant, a naturally fastidious and somewhat anal Virgo. We like order. But, due to my lifestyle, I’ve had to settle for organised chaos. I create large areas of mess very easily. Papers and coffee cups pile up on my desk, shoes and underwear are often strewn across my bedroom floor, but I hate it. So by large I create mess, and when it gets too much, like after three days, I clean it up. And by that I mean I get manic. I put the remote controls in straight lines on the coffee table, I straighten pictures on the wall, I arrange my papers in a perfect pile. Beyond the illusory orderliness however, lies mayhem of monolithic proportions, like in my desk drawers. It drives me nuts knowing its there.
3) I constitute the large amounts of cheese I smash in my face on returning home from work to a habit. Loving cheese and eating cheese as I do can only be a habit.
4) Smoking. I no longer do it. However until two months ago, it was my biggest habit. And I still crave it like an e.coli organism craves a Shoprite steak.
5) I usually always put my panties back on right after sex. This usually alleviates a wet spot.
6) I am obsessed with being everywhere at once. It’s almost a problem. I need to be where the action is all the time. I hate knowing I’m missing out on stuff. It’s exhausting, but I go out four, five times a week. Whether its coffee, a club, a bar, a fucking library. I often end up overbooking myself as a result, and have to attend three different things in one evening.
7) I never pick up when the landlady phones me. I know at some point I’m going to have to face her, but I need to mentally prepare first. Let’s just say that my phone doesn’t light up with “It’s the Fucking LandLady” for nothing.
8) Before I do anything vaguely productive in the mornings, I blow my nose and drink a cup of coffee.
9) I play songs over and over again. I have to kill them. If I get obsessed with one song, guaranteed it’ll be dead within a few hours. For example I have six CDs in my car shuttle. I haven’t changed these CDs in six months. Nobody wants to drive with me because they cannot stand listening to the same stuff again. I can quite happily listen to a song on repeat for the entire afternoon. I’ve done it plenty times before.
10) I phone my French Grandmere once a week. She’s the most incredible woman I know. I also get to speak French with her, obviously, as her English isn’t helluva good.
To conclude, I think I have obsessive compulsive disorder. Less the manic hand washing thing.