Monday, January 21, 2008

I'm just...

...gonna go home and knit a scarf.

I started saying this when I first joined Sobriety Club, in a self-deprecating, yet comprehensible manner - mainly so that people would laugh it off when I left a party at 9:00pm, with merely a light flick of their wrist and a, OK, we get it. You're sober, we're drunk, and although we don't literally believe you're going home to knit a scarf, your new lifestyle suggests that you do just about that anyway, so ha ha ha, fine.

But, no really. This week, when I say I'm off to go knit a scarf, I really fucking mean, "I'm going home to knit a scarf." Knitting is terribly versatile, see. Sure, I can't make shapes. So the initial idea of banging together a new toilet seat cover for the can seems a little over-dogmatic. I can only knit box-90-degree-angled shapes. Someone zyphed the toilet seat cover at the last house party we had, so I figure a nice bright orange fluffy one should put the zen back into our WC.

Annnnnnnnyway. 747 and I went to a Madhatter's Tea Party on Saturday. It was nice to catch up up with folk I haven't seen in ages, over my soda and lemonade spritzers. Especially K2, Dick, and the enigmatic Alice in Swaziland, who'd borrowed his maid's powder blue pinafore, for the occasion.

747 and I know when to leave these days. It's when you've chatted to everyone, and had a good time - even when more sober than the most Catholic friar in the Vatican. And suddenly people are incapable of stringing a sentence together. It was good, I had fun, but it was...time to go home and knit a scarf. Well, no not really, we went to watch a movie.

We watched a helluva lot of DVDs and/or movies this weekend. As well as a bit of festive cricket-watching at Wanderer's on Friday night. (Others bought tot packs; we bought packets of wine gums in little vampire fang shapes. People were loving the fangs. I thought it was a nice touch.)
Was a nice, chilled weekend. I'm starting to enjoy Sobriety Club. No, really. I mean, my eczema has cleared up. How's that for a bar rash that just didn't go away?

Here I thought it was stress, but no, it was just a bar rash that decided to squat on my upper chin for the last 5 months. Nice. And now it's gone.

Big week ahead. My car is going for a service ($$$$$$$$$$), I'm knitting doilys, and...I'm getting a new tooth.

I'm really living the dream.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TOOTH!!

Peas on Toast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peas on Toast said...

Kyk - You wanna bet? I can't wait for my new incisor...it's like Christmas all over again!
:)

(All I want for Xmas is a new front tooth....)

Anonymous said...

ALL you did was watch DVD's? With rain pattering down and snuggled on the couch? Shame on you!

Peas on Toast said...

Jam - har har har! Well, you know, * blushes*.....amongst other stuff :)

SheBee said...

Ha!

Knitting. Good god!

I'm being a link whore, purely because Monday blogging seems a little slow today - so maybe your readers will get a kick reading up on Jeremy Nell. Hope you don't mind.

http://ifthesewallscouldtalk.co.za/2008/01/21/monday-20q-with-jeremy-nell/

Peas on Toast said...

Coolio, thanks Sheebs.

ChewTheCud said...

Reading, catching up with Peas again. Seems you're great ;)

This tooth you speak of isn't a wisdom tooth by any chance?

Peas on Toast said...

Howdy Chews! Long time!

Nah, this liddle tooth is my fron incisor buddy....it's capped. Got it knocked out in first year varsity....

It was the hugest jol ever.

Anonymous said...

shoewee - you are living the life!